The guidance officer at Caboolture Special School provides a guidance, counselling and student support role. Some of our guidance officer responsibilities include:
- Conducting assessment to determine the nature of student learning difficulties, disabilities, developmental levels or psychological and emotional status in order to make recommendations for educational adjustments, verification of disability and interventions.
- Determining eligibility for enrolment at special school.
- Assisting the school in the implementation of student protection policies and risk management processes.
- Providing a counselling and referral service to assist students and families in areas of relationships, grief and loss, safety and crisis management.
- Supporting the school community in developing and implementing plans, programs and procedures to assist students in achieving positive educational, developmental and lifelong learning outcomes and aim at fostering resilience.
- Assisting and supporting the school community to be responsive to identified personal, social, emotional and educational needs.
- Providing information, recommendations and advice to students, teachers and parents concerning educational, behavioural, disability, transition, mental health and family issues.
- Working with school, departmental, local government and community agencies to support student and family needs.
Parents wishing to discuss issues with the guidance officer should contact the school to arrange an appointment.